Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Art of Lost Time

       A dear friend of mine is going through the painful process of watching her mother descend in to the dark depths of Alzheimers. They have never had an easy relationship, which doesn't help things. I lost a wonderful, bon vivant friend just over a year ago to this most dreadful of conditions. He was too young and too talented to go in this fashion, but I am truly grateful he went quickly. I am a strong believer in quality of life - not quantity. I am also a strong believer in euthanasia. If we can help our pets die without pain and in peace, why can't we do the same for ourselves and our loved ones?
      Anyway, I don't want to climb aboard one of my hobby horses today. My friend is constantly in my thoughts as she tackles this terrible task with much fortitude and strength, and a small dose of humour to keep her going.
      I got to thinking about painting pain and release from pain, and how difficult it is to paint. I started playing with an idea in my mind - and this is the first of one painting. It is small - 4x6 - and it will be incorporated in to a bigger painting. I am calling it "Lost Memories" and dedicate it to my friend, and all who are struggling with aging and dementia.
Lost Memories - acyrlic and pastels © 2012 Anne Jenkins
Check out my website and facebook page

2 comments:

Art Matters said...

Powerful Anne.

Anne Jenkins Art said...

thanks Carol! coming from you it's a BIG compliment