Friday, March 15, 2013

The art of young talent

This public art project is keeping me on my toes and I'm learning so much - especially from the student I am mentoring, Ann. She is a lovely person - strong minded, intelligent and very talented artist... and we have slotted easily in to a working relationship.
I'm not only enjoying learning about her art and her view of art but of seeing life through the eyes of a 17-year old. One the first questions she asked was did I find it strange or annoying to have someone sharing my studio. The question surprised me... I hadn't thought of it in that way. But she is right, painting is a solitary occupation. I told her no, I am enjoying it. It's exciting and fun to see art through another's eyes and opinions. We discussed working alone and she is a wise young girl. She said something  like 'I am not afraid of being alone, I'm comfortable with it.' And I couldn't agree more - there is a big difference between being lonely and being alone. We both enjoy being alone and working alone, but we are also enjoying this short time working and learning together.
Ann faces a life filled with adventures, love, despair, laughter and joy. I wish her a long life of all of them. Go grab it with both hands and head on out... make a difference, is my advice to her.
I am sure she will.
SO ... meet Ann - my new artist friend, I'm glad we're having a grand old time doing this project.


No comments: